Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Sketchup Question

John wrote:
I was contemplating whether or not this was worth bringing up, but in
the end I thought why not, everyone can decide for themselves:

If you're looking for things that Sketchup can't do, chances are that
Carrara can. Carrara can be gotten for $30 off of the DAZ website (it
comes with the Figures Characters and Avitars book). Carrara has some
very powerful modelling tools, and can produce photo-realistic output,
including video, etc. (Interestingly, if you want to do non-photo-
realistic sketchup-type output, you have to pay for a plugin).

It looks like it has a much larger learning curve than Sketchup
(sketchup looks pretty easy on the training videos), but as you can
imagine, Carrara is vastly more powerful.

Anyways, just thought I would bring that up, and people can have a
decide if it's worth the extra money/learning curve (just a warning
though -- the DAZ website seems to be overly proud of thier models of
scantily clad women -- it can do other things... really!. I've been
using it for years and have done many furniture designs with it) The
sight is he

It's always worth bringing up. There are a ton of programs out there
that can do the job and it's always nice to see the choices available.

One man's poi is another man's poison.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08