Posted to uk.d-i-y
D.M.Chapman D.M.Chapman is offline

Default google groups demise

In article ,
Tim W wrote:

Now - should uk.d-i-y move to Facebook or Twitter?

No it ****ing shouldn't!

Heh.... Facebook no - but I must admit to liking twitter

Show me a web forum that supports all those features...

Indeed. However, it seems that the yoof of today aren't interested. I run
what is left of the usenet service at UKC - a place where usenet has
a bit of history (See http://uknof.org.uk/uknof6/Houlder-History.pdf
for a bit of it). Traffic has dived to being virtually non existant.

No one wants to use usenet at the university. I'm by far the heaviest user
and I'm pretty much only active on this group (largely - a few odd posts
elsewhere but nothing much). Sure, a few poeple post a bit here and there
but it's nothing. Given the maint costs of the machine it's running on are
escalating I suspect it'll soon die completely :-(

We used to feed loads of colleges and some other unis. None now. The list
of UK unis taking usenet feeds is getting depressingly small:

http://www.ja.net/services/news/news...t-clients.html

Can't see it lasting long at all. It's been replaced by web forums and
more recently, Facebook.

Facebook is *massive* amongst the students. Some UK unis were seeing
60-70% of all non-spam email coming into the site being Facebook related.
Wander into any PC room and it's facebook on half the screens. It's
scary how big it's got. Usenet isn't of interest with it's plain text
content :-(

Call me a snob, but I haven't seen any real innovation since USENET for this
field of use. All the other crap just adds "flash" and all Twitter is good
for is keeping the inane berks off the streets, save those who sadly are on
the streets and Twitter simultaneously, courtesy of their mobile phone.

It's the "flash" that people want these days. We are a dying breed :-(

(But I still like twitter for some reason ;-))

Darren