Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Fixing latex paint drips

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"dpb" wrote in message
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
My kid just called from college saying his roommate painted his window
frames with Sherwin-Williams gloss latex, and 8 hours later, there are
pretty large areas where the paint ran and forms drips (more like globs).
It's at the thick goo stage right now. Should they let it dry until it
hardens (if ever), and then razor blade it off & repaint the bad spots,
or what? I've never had this problem, so I don't know what to tell them.

Cut it cleanly w/ a razor blade if can w/o smearing it too badly.
Otherwise, just wait a little longer and it will dry and can be cleaned up
then before it is terribly hard. A little scuff-sanding and all will be
well.

I told them to use real paint, but they don't listen.

I sincerely doubt it was the paint; undoubtedly inexperienced painter.

Probably some of both. If you've never compared Sherwin-Williams with brands
like Devoe or Martin-Senour, you owe it to yourself to do so. The difference
is quite remarkable.

I've used virtually every brand of paint known to man (at least in the
US) and frankly as far as application for equivalent price-point paints
of same type there's little to choose...you dab it on thick or drag a
brush over a hard edge and it's going to drip which what I'll bet
happened here.