Mike in Mystic

Default workbench finished: Sam Allen's joiner's bench with Veritas twin-screw end vise

Hi Chuck,

Thanks for the compliments. I can't take credit for any of the ideas
represented in this bench. Almost all of them came straight from Sam
Allen's bench. Strangely, he has the horizontal dog-holes in his plan for
this bench, but doesn't instruct the drilling of a horizontal dog-hole in
the end vise. The Veritas workbench and vise instructions do have this
shown, so it wasn't as if I had any eureka moment. I bet it'd be hard to
find any original workbench innovation in this day and age, considering
they've been in use for thousands of years.

And, believe me, having made do without a really good bench for a long time
has me already appreciating the bench even if I haven't used it much yet.

Mike

--

There are no stupid questions.
There are a LOT of inquisitive idiots.

"Conan The Librarian" wrote in message
Mike in Mystic wrote:

Hi wreckers,

I finally finished up the last few details on the workbench I finally

got
around to building. Although not as pretty as a lot of the benches I've
seen, including several recent posts, I think the functionality it
represents will still make it a joy to use. Since this is basically a

step
up from a Workmate, there is no question that I'm going to be thrilled

put it to use.

I'll post a few pics on ABPW, but you can see them all, as well as some
further details of the bench, at this website:
http://pages.cthome.net/logmanworld/workbench.htm

It looks very nice, but what I like best about it is that you've
obviously put a lot of thought into the various work-holding devices. I
especially like your setup for clamping boards for jointing. The little
trick of having a horizontal dog in the end-vise is a good one. (And
one that I'll steal from you as soon as I figure out how to adapt it to
my bench. :-)

I'm sure you'll get a lot of pleasure from the bench. Sometime down
the line you'll stop in the middle of working on a project and wonder
how you ever got by without such a stable work-surface. DAMHIKT.

Chuck Vance