Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Collapsed Sewer Lines

bob haller wrote:

Ours is cast iron, about 40 y/o,
and the plumber said 35-40 yrs. is about max of expected life.

I can't imagine how dumping rock salt into the line would accomplish
much, if anything - it would be washed away in fairly short order.
?We
live on salt water, so if salt in soil kept much of anything from
growing, the ground should be bare. ?Lots of plants don't mind a
little sale.

And rock salt isn't going to help that cast iron last any longer.-

my line and most lines in the pittsburgh area are terracota, rock salt
kills the roots fast while leaving the trees and bushes unharmed.

the video i have shows nearly all roots entering from the top.

dump rock salt water before leaving for work in morning so max salt
exposure can occur..

other than a main cast iron line what harm can salt do if your
thinking of replacing the line anyway?

The person I was responding to said his line was cast iron.