Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default New HD policy

On Oct 6, 2:08*pm, MikeB wrote:
On Oct 6, 12:12*pm, Red wrote:

Bought some construction material from HD yesterday. *The receipt
shows the cost of each item and the refund value of each item. *The
refund value is 10% less than the purchase price. *Guess they're now
charging a 10% restocking fee on returned items. *They've now lost my
business.

Red

Not that I know if this is relevant in this instance, but over the
last few years I've seen reports of retailers starting to track
customers with higher than usual return numbers. In some instances
they are then taking specific action to compensate for those
customers. Do you have a large amount of returns at HD? Could that be
it?

"I've seen reports of retailers starting to track customers with
higher than usual return numbers."

I return a fair amount of stuff to HD (and Lowes) sometimes with a
reciept, sometimes without. I'll buy extra fittings for plumbing or
electrical work or extra wood just so I don't have to go back in the
middle of a job. Been doing that for as long as I can remember. I
recently bought $250 worth of wood, had someone help me load it into
my trailer and then an hour later had someone one help me unload it so
I could return it!

I've only been flagged on a return once and it was because I returned
a bunch of plumbing fittings at one HD and then a couple of hours
later found a few more in the van and stopped at a different HD. When
I tried to return them, they had to get a manager's approval. When I
asked why, they asked me if I had just returned a bunch of stuff at
the other HD. I said yes but later found a few more that I didn't
need. The manager said "Fine" and processed the return. Bottom line is
that they are certainly doing some type of tracking.

My pet peeve is the fact that they always give me cash for returns
when I made the purchase with a debit card. I don't see why they can't
credit the debit card like just about every other store does. A couple
of dollars here and there is no big deal, but I didn't need $250
burning a hole in my pocket when I returned the wood mentioned
earlier.