The Other James

Default Woodworker's Warehouse unfair sale practice

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"Tom Crist" wrote in message
Here's the reply I received from Bill Kearney, VP Store Operations of
Woodworkers Warehouse:

I value your business and appreciate your communication. Good luck with
your new house, I'm sure your 20' x 60' space will
make one great "dream workshop"!

If he really loved you he'd send you a discount coupon for another $50 off
of it.
Ed

Tool margins on something like this are often pretty small. I remember once,
maybe 10 years ago I worked in a medium sized hardware/lumberyard chain before
HD came in and took over. We mostly sold tools to home builders, at a pretty
low volume. The employees could buy anything in the store at cost+10%.
Typically, buying a nail gun or whatever, the discount would be just enough to
pay the tax... our markup on one item I remember in particular, a Skil 77 worm
drive saw, was $7. We had to get them by the pallet in order to get quantity
discount, and it took us all summer to move that pallet. The only way to beat
it would be to get more aggressive pricing, buying 100 train car loads instead
of one pallet, the way WalMart and HD do. (It also depends on how many middle
men are marking up the price... they typically deal directly with the factory
and are their own distributor of the product.)