Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.media.tv.misc,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv
Jim Lesurf Jim Lesurf is offline

Default Switch off at the socket?

In article , The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

IIRC and I am not sure I do :-) Its by using a front end gas turbine -
jet engine - which can cope with thousand degree working
temperatures..then the exhaust from THAT feeds the boiler and off to a
condensing steam turbine..

IIRC There was a report in IEEE Spectrum a year or three ago about an error
the USA made as part of their process of re-establishing electric power
infrastructure to Iraq having buchered it during the 'war'.

The 'quickest solution' was to buy and install what were essentially jet
engines as turbine generators. Good method if you want a quick install and
a small physical package to put in place.

The snag was that these required very high grade fuel and careful operation
and maintainance. So kept failing in a post-war situation where the
logistics weren't in place to support this. Still, the contractors no doubt
made a lot of money out of it...

Slainte,

Jim