Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default New HD policy

On Tue, 6 Oct 2009 10:12:06 -0700 (PDT), Red
wrote:

Bought some construction material from HD yesterday. The receipt
shows the cost of each item and the refund value of each item. The
refund value is 10% less than the purchase price. Guess they're now
charging a 10% restocking fee on returned items. They've now lost my
business.

Red

That's bad alright. If I have to decide if I reallllly want
something, I'll buy fewer things. That's the reason for liberal
return policies in the first place, to encourage impulse buying, most
of which the person will be happy with and won't return.

Computers have substantially lessened the bookkeeping costs of
returns. I don't know what the restocking actually costs them (about
the same for a 1 dollar item as for a 100 dollar item I think)

I wonder if this is only on things that tend to get damaged when they
are out of the store (probably everything. I'll look), 30, 50 pound
paper bags of things seem like they would not last long.

I also returned a big thing for watering a planting for 2 weeks way
after summer was over. I got a full refund a year ago, but I knew
they woudlnt' sell it again until spring, and they'd have to sort of
keep track of it until then. (although that should be pretty easy if
they're organized.)