Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
DaveC[_3_] DaveC[_3_] is offline

Default Cap value for timing circuit

Relay-logic controlled printing machine, 110 vac.

A 300mfd (150v) electrolytic cap is used together with 25K (25 W) ohm
wirewound pot and a 5K ohm relay coil to control a variable time delay before
the relay opens.

The cap is shot (measures less than 1mfd). I'm having a hard time finding a
replacement locally. (Yeah, I know: Digi-Key, et al) But I need to get this
up and running today.

What other common types can I use in place of this can-type cap? (It has 2
wings that rivet to the sides of the opening in the chassis and solder terms
make the connection below the chassis.) Maybe poly-somethings, two in series
or parallel?

It's a Mallory FP119A.

Can I use a non-polar electro? (The wiring diagram shows a polarity
indicator.)

Or a motor-start cap? ::

http://tinyurl.com/y9d3ks6

Thanks,