Posted to alt.home.repair
bob haller bob haller is offline

Default Collapsed Sewer Lines

On Oct 6, 6:08�pm, "Bob F" wrote:
wrote:
Bob F wrote:
bob haller wrote:
On Oct 5, 3:15?pm, "Bob F" wrote:
anon44 wrote:
anon44 had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...d-Sewer-Lines-...
wrote:
Ever notice how rocksalt kills grass around sidewalks?
Dump a 25 pound bag in a wash tub mix hot water to help it
dissolve and try and get most of it down line, then go out for
day so the salt stays in contact with the roots kiiling them
been doing this for 10 years now with no problems, just repeat 3
to 4 times a year, to keep the roots from regrowing.
you can use rock or softener salt, it can do no harm and may just
save you the cost of a new line
my 80 foot line estimate was about 8 grand I can buy salt forever
to save that much $
Just going through this ordeal. I'd like to try the rock salt. My
concern would be that the roots are growing down from the top of
the pipe and the rock salt will sit on the bottom of the pipe.
Won't make contact with the roots causing the problem.
Would roots really grow from the top of the pipe? Do most tree
roots like to grow through air?- Hide quoted text -

most roots are above the height of the sewer line and naturally grow
down to water.... besides trees breathe air thru roots.

I suspect that roots are more likely to seek out the leakage at the
bottom of the pipe to get the water and nutrients than to foloow
(what?) into the barren dry top of the pipe. Sure they grow down.
They get near the bootom of the pipe and discover what they want,
then grow up if needed into the pipe. It might be interesting to see some
pictures of roots in a pipe. I
bet they are mostly coming in the bottom, then growing up as the
block the flow and rais the level within the pipe.

Once any roots enter the pipe, which they could through any defect,
they probably don't grow into the portion of the line that contains
water all of the time. �They also would be likely to branch across
the air space to more moisture. �Once they are in the line, then they
are the base to snag tissue and any other solids that come along. Discovered
that using my disposal before we found the sewer line of
our condo was badly deteriorated. �Ours is cast iron, about 40 y/o,
and the plumber said 35-40 yrs. is about max of expected life.

I can't imagine how dumping rock salt into the line would accomplish
much, if anything - it would be washed away in fairly short order. �We
live on salt water, so if salt in soil kept much of anything from
growing, the ground should be bare. �Lots of plants don't mind a
little sale.

And rock salt isn't going to help that cast iron last any longer.- Hide quoted text -

my line and most lines in the pittsburgh area are terracota, rock salt
kills the roots fast while leaving the trees and bushes unharmed.

the video i have shows nearly all roots entering from the top.

dump rock salt water before leaving for work in morning so max salt
exposure can occur..

other than a main cast iron line what harm can salt do if your
thinking of replacing the line anyway?