Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default remove dead dishwasher; make shelves?

"SteveB" wrote in
:

wrote in message
On Mon, 5 Oct 2009 16:00:18 -0700 (PDT), Higgs Boson
wrote:

excuse l/c; typing one-handed; broken wrist

my dishwasher "died" a few months ago. probably could be revived;
problem is that water won't enter.

from liitle research i have done, 13-year-old d/w not economical to
repair. can't afford good new one and
don't wany to buy c**p.

2-person household can do nicely w/o d/w.

friend said she removed d/w and converted space to drawers

i could use shelves; drawers seem very expensive, what with the
carpentry.

what does group think?

tia

I ditched my dishwasher (that was working) because we never used it.
Two people do not generate that many dishes, at least we don't. We
would rather have the space. I lined the inside of the hole with
plywood stained to match our cabinets and put in "euro" drawer slides
with flat shelves attached. We didn't want doors but I am guessing I
could have ordered them from the cabinet manufacturer. (or just
bought/built something acceptable).
That worked for years until we renovated the whole kitchen. I still
don't have a dishwasher.

I have a dishwasher, and could live without it. You have to wash the
dishes before you put them in there, so, what's the point? And
besides, SWMBO is a Nazi when it comes to washing less than a full
load, so by the time we wash dishes, all my favorite coffee cups are
in there, as well as all the forks. What's that? Buy more? Why
couldn't we just wash the damn dishes more often?

BUT, back to the point. I would not miss my dishwasher. In fact, I'm
banned from operating it anyway. I could use the shelves in our
cramped kitchen until our remodel. Yeah, like that's going to happen.

Ditch it and don't look back.

What I'd do, anyway.

BTW, ours wasn't working, and all it took was taking the door apart
and running a wire through the channel where the soap had plugged up.
Check that little float at the bottom, too, as that gets cockeyed or
clogged. After that, you'll figure it out or start making shelves.

Good luck.

Steve

May I suggest a rollout cabinet,and a nice worktop?
It could give you some extra workspace along with more storage.
Think of it as a storable kitchen island.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik