Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] wmbjkREMOVE@citlink.net is offline

Default OT - Why the September Jobs Report Is So Brutal

On Mon, 5 Oct 2009 17:37:46 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 4 Oct 2009 23:57:24 -0400, "Buerste" wrote:

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

wrote in message
On Oct 4, 7:09 pm, "Ed Huntress" wrote:

It makes it even MORE economically attractive for Tom to invest in new,
more
productive equipment, so he can compete. Reducing wages then moves his
equilibrium point up for a while, and then it just reduces aggregate
demand.
Individually, Tom won't notice it. But if other small businessmen do
the
same thing, we'll all notice it.

But investing on more productive equipment means that Tom can employ
fewer workers. So this is not where the jobs are going to come from.

First, if you're right about that, then Tom is perpetuating a fraud when
he ties his investment to hiring more workers. g But that's not right.
If he's adding to equipment he'll have to add workers. If he REPLACES
old
equipment with new, he *may* be able to reduce the number of workers.
But
that's not likely. It would take a lot of investment, and his ROI
probably
wouldn't stand up, in comparison with simply *adding* some new capacity
increase his output.

--
Ed Huntress

Your imaginary model of my business is so far off the mark I don't even
know
where to BEGIN to correct you.
A. I don't HAVE any old equipment, haven't you been reading my posts for
the past ten years?
B. I have drastically reduced the number of man-hours per product.
C. I don't buy equipment, I design and build it for the costs of material
and labor...no bank loans.
D. My equipment is beyond state of the art.
E. I have plenty of excess capacity in some areas and I run overtime in
other areas. It depends on the market, the Democrats have destroyed the
industrial market...guess where my excess capacity is? But I don't need
it
and idle machines don't eat anything.

I get four or more good, legitimate offers for my company every year and
many more bull**** ones. I can sell and retire any time I want for more
than I can ever spend. I must have done some things right, so I trust my
OWN judgment and instincts a whole lot more than yours.

Why don't you come and visit?

Because Ed has been largely a failure in Business and has spent his last
several years doing "craftsman" type work.

Id be surprised if he could turn a crank on any machine without some
serious thought and some outside prodding.

Having his world view of others and his OWN sucesses invalidated would
give him a serious case of the Ass..so dont expect him to visit any time
soon.

Gunner

Ah, RCM's very own welfare queen pops up to spout more bull****.

What "business" have I been a failure at, Gunner? What was its name? I own
my own modest home; I own two modest cars that I bought new four years ago,
which I'll replace in another two years; I just put my son through a
top-rated private university; I pay my taxes and my bills; I'm 61 and I've
been fortunate enough that, by living pretty frugally, I now can work pretty
much when I want to. Or not.

My "business" is writing, and I have over 350 published articles, chapters
of three books, and countless advertising and corporate communications
pieces behind me -- plus photography for 22 magazine covers and around 200
of my articles.

How about you?

Last I heard, you're into the government (by way of a hospital or two) for
$275,000

Those are only the latest bills. IIRC, the previous one was for
something like $40k. And let's not forget that he has frequently
claimed to be supporting his family, which as it turns out runs the
tab up into the millions.

because you're an irresponsible fool. The government -- that means
our taxes -- secured payment for at least the "medicaid" equivalent for your
heart attack and your stroke, and now it's paying most of the interest.
Current unsecured personal loan rates around Bakersfield are 18% - 22%. You
didn't have collateral to put up for that amount, did you? I didn't think
so.

Let's be generous and say the government (our taxes) is paying down half of
your interest rate on a principle amount that's perhaps 50% the size of your
actual bill. And you still have a bill for the balance, unless they took
pity on you and made an "indigent" deal to reduce your rates. Are you paying
back $13,750 a year? No? That means that, besides paying down your interest
rate, we're paying most of the interest itself. And unless you're paying
MORE than $13,750, you aren't paying back any of the unsecured balance on
your bill. They've probably written you off on their books by now.

Even worse, CA is forced to cut back on education in order to pay the
interest. Ensuring that future generations get the maximum number of
gummer-types and their progeny.

You're a freaking welfare queen. It's amazing that you're snotty enough to
criticize others' accomplishments, since you're currently scrounging pick-up
jobs at failing metalworking shops for a (semi) living.

Why would you believe that he's working? Because he says so? I
wouldn't be surprised if he's living off sonny's SSI bennies, and
posting under a nym on his "off" days .

No doubt you once
had a lot of potential, practically all of which you've squandered.

There's plenty of doubt that he ever had potential. The available
evidence indicates that his mental illness goes back to his teenage
years.

As for your "business," I doubt if you know how to read a balance sheet.
Calling it a "business" is an insult to popsicle stands everywhere.

Gummer's idea of a business was to slap P.E. onto his card and drive
around in a beater while claiming to earn $75 an hour, even though he
knew full well that he was only netting minimum wage at best. And no
doubt criticizing Bill Gates or some such at the same time, over
"borrowed" wifi in between "clients"!

Wayne