Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jon Fairbairn Jon Fairbairn is offline

Default DIY Dust cyclone.

Dave writes:

Jon Fairbairn wrote:
Andy Dingley writes:

On 2 Oct, 19:59, Jon Fairbairn wrote:

The main thing the cyclone lacks is one of those auto-start sockets.
You don't need one. All you really need is remote control of the
cyclone from where you're working. That's easier to find.

There's need and need. I can position the vacuum cleaner close enough to
the work that I don't need to move in order to turn it on with my foot.
I still manage to make the odd cut where I only remember the "press with
foot" part after the end of the cut when I look up and see the cloud of
dust. You could argue that what I need is better concentration, but
that's harder to get.

What I did to get over that problem was make up a short
extension lead with a double socket, 13 Amp plug and a foot
switch on it. Plug the extractor and tool into it, switch on
the extractor and you can't use the power tool until the
foot switch is on.

That's a good idea, thanks.
--
Jón Fairbairn