Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Jammed garage door

MikeB wrote:
On Oct 4, 7:44 pm, aemeijers wrote:

Asking to use the can on a long job is to be expected- when I had
furnace replaced, I showed the guys where it was when they did the
estimate. Asking for food is pushing it. .

Well, yea, I expect that people can't control nature, but, for
instance these guys painting my house, they have been here every day
since Monday from about 7am to 4 pm and not one of them, once asked to
use the can. I've gone out and told them they are welcome to use the
can, but they just don't. I don't know if they go in a bottle or
behind the bushes or what...

So yea, using the can is OK, I just found that most contractors seem
somewhat reticent to use customers' facilities.

I usually make a point of offering contractors something to drink,
usually water or if they are here early, coffee. Most again decline
and I know that many of them make sure they have enough liquids in a
cooler or something so they are not dependent on customers.

As for the food, I felt kind of sorry for the kid. It is tough if you
are youngish and don't eat for a long while. Making him a sandwich
wasn't a problem. Again, if I remember, I might inquire of a crew if
they have food around lunchtime. With this kid it just slipped my
mind, since I was quite busy that day and didn't eat lunch myself.

They go behind the bushes, or hold it till lunch. Contractors are often
leery of letting their people, especially subs, be anywhere unescorted
in a customer's house, for fear of being accused of theft, inappropriate
behavior, or damaging something. Some people in the trades are
dishonest, and some customers are as well- looking for a bargaining chip
to renegotiate price, or for a patsy for an insurance scam. Many in the
trades hate working on occupied houses for lots of reasons- that is just
one of them.

--
aem sends....