Posted to uk.d-i-y
Peter Scott Peter Scott is offline

Default Extractor fans ?

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"js.b1" writes:
You get what you pay for - except where idiot marketing take the ****.

Cheap fans
Cheap bearings which get noisy, hopefully before they seize which is
when nasty things happen.

The Manroses originally installed in this house all seized
(silently) and burned out their motor windings (no resettable
thermal trip - not designed to be repairable).

Replaced with Deta. Had one seize, but it has a resetable trip,
so I repaired it, and it's worked fine ever since. Sadly, they
don't seem to be in business anymore. Mine have thermal solenoid
operated shutters.

Also have a Vent Axia which I picked up for peanuts but should
have been very expensive, and it's run for years with no issues.
Has magnetic solenoid operated shutters too.

I was given a second-hand Xpelair which is 30 years old. Ran
continuously for 10 years before I got it, and I've used it
during the summers since. This year, it started seizing, being
slow to start up. I cleaned and oiled the bearings and it worked
for several more months, but is starting to do it again now.

Seems like it's a good idea to pay a bit then?

Peter Scott