Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Two coats of gloss - am I wasting my time?

On Sun, 04 Oct 2009 23:25:55 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Now in an outdoor situation ...

... use something other than wood. ;-)

Don't get me wrong, wood is fine outdoors for trees and bonfires but I
would love to get rid of it's use here outdoors asap.

30+ years ago I moved here and put up a new paneled fence. The second
set of panels are showing their age whilst the concrete posts look as
good as the day I planted them. Rather than replacing the 6" square
gate posts for the third time I have a pair of steel ones in the
garden ready to go in. The uPVC windows haven't had a lick of paint
(or much attention of any kind for that mater) in the 15 or so years
they have been in. I just wish I'd made the picket fence out of solid
plastic board or steel rather than wood when I replaced that a few
years back.

I wish I'd had plastic soffits when we had the extension and windows
done back then. One less thing to have to waste time, effort and money
on (knowing it will all have to be done again a few years later).

Wood does have it's purpose though ... it makes nice furniture. ;-)

Cheers, T i m