Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default Smoke detectors for the elderly

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
I have the same problem with my amplified phone. It's a
trimline, the volume control on the handset. The ringer is
some high pitched chirp that I can't hear with my hearing
aids out. I put a splitter, and an old mechanical Ma Bell
phone, which I can hear sometimes.

I gave him a flashing phone last Christmas and it's not very effective.
That's why I didn't want to go that route for a smoke detector. He has
plenty of hearing left, it's just all low frequency sounds. He's given up
on his hearing aid, too, because he can't stand the constant background din.
I've learned to make sure he can see my lips when I am talking because I
know he's doing a fair amount of lip reading. I do have some old Bell dial
phones around that I could give him because I believe he doesn't have a
good, solid mechanical phone that works through (frequent) blackouts. That
would kill two birds with one stone. Good idea, thanks!

--
Bobby G.