Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default Smoke detectors for the elderly

"Don Phillipson" wrote in message
"Robert Green" wrote in message

I was at an elderly friend's house the other day when the smoke alarm

went
off. It was quite loud and I reacted instantly to the noise. My

friend,
former Army marksman in his 70's, who's suffering from profound high
frequency hearing loss, heard nothing!!!

Then I started looking around for alarms that used lower frequency

sounders
but the only thing I could find were specially converted smoke detectors
that cost $300!!!!

Can you not find an optical alarm, that indicates by blinking
a strobe light on/off slowly (at whatever frequency is likeliest
to catch the attention of deaf people)?

--
Don Phillipson

I already bought him one of those for his phone, but he mostly doesn't see
it. After reading through some of the sites that readers suggested, it
seems he's not the only one who doesn't react to flashing lights. Some
figures suggest as few as 1/4 of the people using them reliably react to
light. Since posting my first question, I found an alarm that will suffice
that's got a low-frequency horn that sounds a little like a truck backing
up. Very audible.

--
Bobby G.