Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Milling lesson

On Sun, 4 Oct 2009 20:47:34 -0700, "Bill Noble"
wrote:

"Michael Koblic" wrote in message

snip

I interpret this that doing the full thickness slot is a bad thing,
presumably the mill is conventionally milling one side of the slot and
climb milling the other with resulting sideways movement. I have not seen
this documented elsewhere so my question is: Do those with the Big Beasts
see the same thing? Is this a reflection on poor rigidity of my mini or is
this a universally bad procedure to do the full thickness at once?

The other question is the mill bit: I think I milled less than 10 slots
with this particular one. Am I unreasonable expecting it to last longer?
Was it my technique or the provenance of the bit? Are there manufacturers
I should look to preferentially for replacement?

Thanks,

--
Michael Koblic
Campbell River, BC

short answer "no"
longer answer - as someone else posted, you need to lock your table in the
direction you are not expecting it to move.

I have no problem cutting a 1 inch wide by 1 inch deep slot with a 1 inch
end mill on my Abene - it's a bit bigger than your mini, but I don't know
that I 'd call it a "beast"

While its not as tall as a Bridgeport..its far far more rigid than
one..and head and hands more rigid than an import minimill.

Crom but I love my Abene!!!!

Gunner

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional,
illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an
unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the
proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.