Posted to alt.home.repair
zzznot zzznot is offline

Default Smoke detectors for the elderly

"Lee B" wrote in message

I've followed some of this thread, and got curious and went googling for
"smoke alarm" and "low frequency" together. I found this site -
http://darrowproducts.com/index.html . I think their alarm was mentioned
elsewhere in the thread, but two points on their own site that might help:
one of the models is $159 with a $39 instant rebate and free shipping. (Of
course, they may have changed that and not updated the page, who knows).
That's the lowest price models; others are more.

The site also had another interesting angle - their section on veterans
says "Attention, U.S. Veterans, you may qualify to receive a Loudenlow™
Hearing Impaired smoke alarm for free via your local Veterans Affairs
office".

Good luck. And good for you for watching out for your friend!

Wow! I just finished sending off an email to Kidde about
a new smoke alarm I just installed for Mom, with the same
concern!

This Loudenlow looks pretty good, but not cheap.

What is wrong with the major manufacturers,
the low frequency signal might cost another dollar or two
to implement, you would think it would be offered.

Still have to read most of the thread.

Thanks all.

Josh