Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,alt.home.repair

Default Whole house "battery" wiring/power...

krw wrote:
On Sun, 04 Oct 2009 15:06:45 -0500, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

krw wrote:
On Sun, 04 Oct 2009 03:51:51 -0500, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

krw wrote:
On Sat, 03 Oct 2009 16:51:51 -0500, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

krw wrote:
On Sat, 03 Oct 2009 00:22:41 -0500, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

Bill wrote:
How about getting rid of all those batteries in various devices in the home
and connecting the battery connections to one central battery?

That is to run separate wires when wiring a home and these would carry say
12 volts DC. There would be a central large battery and battery charger like
the type used in a computer UPS.

Then at each electronic gizmo which needs a battery, use a "battery
eliminator" along with a voltage regulator to supply it with the correct
voltage. And plug this into a nearby 12 volts DC "outlet".

This could provide battery power to smoke detectors, carbon monoxide
detectors, HVAC thermostat, security system, clocks, digital thermometers,
computer UPS, phone answering machine, etc.

Then only ONE battery to worry about...

A 9 volt battery eliminator picture...
http://www.wirelessmicrocolorcam.com... 7a77410624ea

My suggestion would be for a 48 volt DC system.
Think "transformer".

Plain
old telephone service uses 48 volts DC for battery and
PoE, power over Ethernet is usually 48 volts DC.
The maximum "safe" voltage. There is a reason power transmission is
in the hundreds of KV. AC.

The
wire size could be smaller than that for a lower voltage
system and the 78xx type regulators are very inexpensive
and come in a variety of wattage ratings for stepping
down the voltages.
You really want to waste power, don't you?

The technology to pull it off is not
exotic and can be done with all off the shelf parts.
Solar and wind power could integrate quite easily with
such a system.
Not everyone wants to waste ten times the power they use.
Do you have the slightest clue of what the discussion
is about? It's a hypothetical discussion about a DC power
distribution system for a home.

DO you have the *slightest* clue about electronics? No, I didn't
think so. To answer your question, yes, I can read and understand
your post quite well. ...well enough to know you're clueless.

I neither seek to impose
a standard or ridicule the ideas of others.
Think before posting in an electrical engineering (science) group.

I do have about
four decades of experience with all things electrical and
electronic but sadly, I don't know everything. I wish I did.
You clearly haven't and don't.

The short story is that linear regulators waste tremendous power,
particularly in this application (large voltage drops), making your
idea worthy of ridicule.

There is a very good reason AC is used to transmit power. Thinking
that your brainchild throws out a hundred years of practice is another
reason it's worthy of ridicule.

Well professor, I would only use the damn things for low
power applications.
So you're going to add another level of wiring into homes. Real
smart.

For any kind of load, a DC-DC converter
would be the way to go.
Why not stay with the AC distribution we have and use a small power
supply for those things that need low power. Oh, that's what we are
doing.

Remember, it's just a discussion
about possibilities. Good grief, 78xx regulators are very
inexpensive and DC-DC controllers are getting that way too.
They're *very* wasteful too. I don't want my power bills to go up 7x.

Ridicule bothers me not because as a small boy I had Irish
nuns for teachers. That's also why I have no fear of terrorists.
I'll take Tesla's power distribution system over Edison's any
day. Darn, now I'm gonna have to go out in the back yard and
try to build one of those power transmitting towers that
Nikola used to play around with. Do you scream at your TV
too?
IOW, you're simply stupid as a stone.

You still don't get it, it's only an exercise in what's
possible.

No, Dufus, it is you who doesn't "get it". What is possible is
irrelevant, if the dream is worse than what is.

Look at all the replies on how and why this or
that won't work.

Yes, all telling you that your idea is stupid.

That's what a discussion is all about.

I agree. Everyone agrees that your idea is stupid.

Good grief, you've no idea what the term "thought provoking"
means.

You have to have some thoughts before they can be provoking. Try it.

You get your pointy little head tweaked and result
to name calling?

You are what you are. I've simply told you what you are. Grow up and
deal with it.

You point out what's wrong with an idea
and that's a good thing.

Something that should be immediately obvious to anyone posting in a
science/engineering group.

When I ran a crew on a project,
I would deliberately tell them to do something that was
wrong. After having to stop them a few times, the really
smart ones caught on and challenged me. I told them that if
they even had a feeling something was wrong, speak up but
be prepared to explain why. A crew like that can save a
company a lot of money. I once installed a Halon fire
suppression system in a mission control center and the
prints I was given made no sense to me. I argued with the
HMFIC and was told it's on the print, DO IT. The prints
had been prepared by my employer not The Core of Engineers.
The cost of a mistake like that falls on those who supply
the prints. When the manufacturer's rep arrived, he exclaimed,
"These prints are wrong! It's a good thing you didn't go by
this!". Even though I saved the company a great deal of
money, it put a bug up the tailpipe of the HMFIC. Something
about loss of face. Being an agent provocateur is a lot of

Ah, so you're testing us? You're not just stupid, but a stupid liar.

fun, keep those ideas coming.

Do keep the really stupid ones to yourself.

It wasn't my idea to start with you idiot, it was
a discussion about possibilities. I'm so glad that
a world leading expert such as yourself would chime
in and share your dearth of knowledge. *snicker*

TDD