Posted to rec.woodworking
Neil Brooks Neil Brooks is offline

Default when to use OSB

On Oct 4, 1:29*pm, Tanus wrote:
On Oct 4, 10:19*am, Jack Stein wrote:

wrote:
Jack Stein wrote:
Doesn't matter. *Random denotes no particular direction, and oriented
denotes direction, and using them together in this context is an
oxymoron, just like cruel kindness or deafening silence...

Robocop wrote:
You know... random orientation?
Perfectly acceptable usage in the English language.
Yes, perfectly acceptable usage, and a near perfect example of an
oxymoron... Go figure.
* Orientation is rrelated to direction.

Yep, and random is related to no direction, as in haphazard.

You can go off in random directions - and it is not an oxymoron.

Perhaps.

Nor is Random orientation.

Wrong. *Oriented denotes *a* direction, not *any* direction, the
opposite of haphazard or random directions. *Used together "randomly
oriented" is an oxymoron. *You can prove this by reading the tripe the
morons are writing about Rush, Fox news, Bush... whatever silliness
spews forth from their empty, collective heads.

--
Jack
Using FREE News Server:http://www.eternal-september.org/http://jbstein.com

plonk

Put another way ... can any of you provide an estimate as to how long
you intend to flog this /particular/ dead horse??

I provided a link or two that answers the question: Oriented Strand
Board IS oriented to provide greater strength along one of its axes.
Imaging data has proved that the orientation is FAR from optimized (by
design? default??), and that further improvements are possible.

I'm no stranger to Usenet, but ... wow. Kids, kids, kids.