Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default Smoke detectors for the elderly

"Robert L Bass" wrote in message

stuff snipped

You've probably seen the outrageously overpriced detectors from

"LoudnLow" --
a company that makes it's money by gouging hearing deficient victims.

There's
a company that makes a low-frequency sounder which responds to the

high-pitch
noise from conventional smokes. It's called Telex. Their product is also
pricey but at least you won't be out $1200. I can't speak for the quality

of
their product as I haven't tried one. Here's a link:

http://www.teltex.com/Home.asp

Thanks for the link but I need to find something less pricey. I just CAN
NOT believe that with all the smoke detectors out there, that there isn't
anything except multi-hundred dollar units that can make a sound that
hard-of-hearing people can hear. I'd like to do this for $120 max. The
larger issue is the millions of older Americans on tight budgets who can
hardly afford to eat. They're definitely NOT going to spend $1000's or even
$100's on fancy smoke detectors, nor should they.

Thanks for your input. I'm betting that if I had to go that route, I could
get out some copper-clad perf board and my soldering iron and build
something very similar to what you are describing for a lot less. But
still, I shouldn't have to. Fortunately, the industry seems to have finally
realized the problem and are taking steps to correct it. I just hope my
friend doesn't turn himself into a crispy critter before then. He likes to
sit in his armchair, smoking a pipe and he tends to doze off a lot.

--
Bobby G.