Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Home Inspection?

Yadda wrote:
on 10/1/09 8:26 AM said the following:
On Oct 1, 12:10 am, wrote:
Yadda wrote:
on 9/28/09 8:52 PM aemeijers said the following:
Yadda wrote:
Howdy, how would I go about hiring someone to inspect possible
design/structural problems? I don't want to hire a home inspector as
such as I have heard it is better to hire a construction
engineer(?)...Advice??? TIA, Dan

Insufficient detail to offer an answer. What type of structure, what
problems do you suspect, what will be done with the report, that
sort of
thing. 'Home inspectors' like used in residential sale deals generally
are not experts, but have some basic knowledge of most household
systems
and construction techniques. Mine spent 3 pages on which part of roof
was failing, with pictures, when all that was really needed was a note
that 'roof needs a tearoff and replace'. But he totally missed some
electrical system problems.

If you suspect foundation or framing failures, hire a structural
engineer. If you question the design specs, hire an engineer or an
architect. If you don't own the place yet, but don't have a warm fuzzy
about it, keep looking. Still a buyers market. If you know nothing
about
construction (no shame in that, not everyone grew up in the business
like I did, or spent a career in it like many of the regulars on
here),
a GOOD home inspector may be a good place to start. He will know
and be
honest about the stuff he ISN'T an expert on, and tell you where you
need to seek additional expertise.

--
aem sends...

I suspect a framing issue. There are cracks in the drywall, peeling
paint and some mold starting. So water/moisture in invading
probably do
to framing issue.

Cracks in drywall plus peeling paint and mold, I'd first look at roof
and foundation, and then at siding and windows. Do windows and doors
stick (from more than swelling), indicative of house being out of
square? Are floors level? Framing is usually rather obvious- the place
is crooked. Localized leaks up high is usually roof or a window. Whole
house stinks of mold, could be roof or foundation. I'd start cheap, with
one of the $300 guys. It should be obvious in the first ten minutes
where the problem is.

--
aem sends...

Agree. A framing issue would only cause leaks due to triggering
something else and would have to be pretty substantial for that to
occur. An example would be if something shifted enough to cause a
gap to open around a window exterior letting in rain, etc. More
common causes of leaks are simple things like missing or incorrect
flashing.

Some small cracking of drywall is normal due to expansion/contraction
cycles over temperature, minor settling, etc. As AEM asked, are the
floors level? Windows/doors square? Those things are normally prime
indicators of a structural problem.

Floors are fine. The problem area has roof over it, single floor.

Probably a roof leak and/or a window leak, then. Time to go in attic
with an icepick and a strong flashlight, to look for water trails and
mushy wood. If everything looks good up there, start poking around the
window. (May have to pull the inside casing for access.) Improperly
flashed or installed window is very common, and cheap siding contractors
sometimes screw up the cap flashing over the window, such that water is
directed down into the wall. Also look at the gutter board and soffit
above the problem area, especially if it is wrapped with metal or vinyl.
I have a spot on this house where it actually trailed water back into
the wall, and rotted out a window,

--
aem sends...