Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Unused Li-ion battery pack

On Sun, 04 Oct 2009 11:27:07 -0400, Meat Plow
wrote:

Laptop monitor software to display battery temperature.
http://www.passmark.com/products/batmon.htm

Interesting.

The point is that it is possible to monitor the operating temperature
of the battery and then offer suggestions on how to prolong the
battery life based on the measurements. It's also possible to predict
imminent battery failure with this information. However, in our
consumption based society, such things are rarely supplied.

Rhetorical question:
Why don't UPS manufacturers use Li-Ion batteries?

UPS's spend much of their life with fully charged batteries. They
also tend to run rather warm inside. This combination is not
compatible with Li-Ion batteries, which die prematurely when run hot
and fully charged. If run like a typical UPS (which is almost never
run), it would make a great battery killer. The reduction in weight
and hazardous substances might be beneficial for some applications,
but there's little demand for lightweight or non-toxic backup power.
One might do better using capacitors instead of a battery.

Still waiting for fuel cell laptop batteries. Polyfuel died in
August. Ultracell is selling mostly to the military.
http://www.ultracellpower.com/sp.php?rugged
Most of the major Japanese manufacturers have announced and even
demonstrated products, but nothing I can buy, yet. Grumble...

I have a lead acid jumpstart pack boasting a 900 amp (heh) surge and a
200 watt inverter. Never used it in that configuration but I would
assume several hours of usage would not be out of reason.

Huh? I was pitching fuel cell (methanol) power systems, not lead
acid. Read what I wroth. Pour your booze into the fuel cell and get
enough power to run your computah for a few hours.

Also, it's not "surge". It's probably "xxxxx cranking amps" or some
such contrived measurment designed to avoid specifying standardized
amp-hr battery capacity. Pick one:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Car_battery#Terms_and_ratings

--
Jeff Liebermann