Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_6_] Leon[_6_] is offline

Default Beaded Face Frame - Kreg

----- Original Message -----
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Sent: Sunday, October 04, 2009 12:27 PM
Subject: Beaded Face Frame - Kreg

On Oct 4, 11:13 am, Tom Watson wrote:

I don't see how that is better than what I've been doing. I bead up
the stock and then remove what needs to be by using a combination of
the chopsaw with the depth set, and the bandsaw to do what the chopsaw
can't.

Yeah, I'm not getting that one. The gloss over the fact that you must
be 100% (as in absolutely no margin of error) accurate on your depth
cuts in the stiles, and perfect in the length of the ears that are cut
off on the rails. Anyone that has tried to match cuts with an Incra
system or any of the other snap on stop systems can testify how hard
that can be. Again, I am looking at that depth adjustment. How many
test cuts would you have to make?

I can see how the acuracy of the cutting depth will be very important and
thinking back, how often do your rails "PRECICELY" measure out in width. I
can say from lot's of experience that my rails can may differ in width by
1/128" from one to the next. this would pose a problem with the Kreg system
I suspect. I think your stock would literally have to be perfectly sized
and perfectly straight. AND I would use my Domino over the pocket hole
screws if I used this system, I think. ;~)

At least if you are building faces the old fashioned way (not as show
in the video with saw blade burned wood, oozing glue, and poor bead
mold placement) you can make up just a bit of inconsistency when you
add your bead mold. With this system, you have no margin for error.

The goober infomercial demo of the old fashoned way was a hoot. I suspect
that if you have precision problems the old way, it is not going to be any
better with the Kreg. Assuming the Kreg is easy to use I felt that it would
create a stronger joint and replace the need for jigs as spacers. I also
thought you could simply use straight edges with no profile or roundovers,
coves, etc. providing the bit cut all the way through the profile on the
stile.
..

Perhaps an in person demo showing "how easy" it is to set up would be the
acid test. I would not want to see the demo with every thing already set
up.