Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Obama's Olympic Failure Highlights Limits of His International Appeal

"Compact Adolescent" wrote in message

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

"Wes" wrote in message
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

Ed, what is with you and John lately? You both are sliding into the
gutter with your

Wes

Testing Adolescent's cool. He reacts in a funny way. It looks like he's
had
it too easy for a while, and I'm just trying to provoke him. d8-)

This is Whac-a-Mole with righties, Wes. It's the only entertainment left
in
this place, thanks to Cliff and a couple of others who keep
cross-posting.

If Cliff and TMT left this world or found other interests, this group
would come back to
life. While I like the relative anonymity of Usenet, I'm starting to
think maybe we
should all declare who we are.

I also wonder how many psychologists are researching Usenet and
behavior. It seems to
bring out the worst in some people.

I'm even filtering right wingers out if they are not metalworking
participants at RCM or
AMC.

If only we could learn to stop feeding the trolls. Myself included.

Wes

Wes, take a look at a few patterns that have emerged lately. Adolescent
isn't responding with a list of NGs that happens to include RCM: he
CREATES new posts, one after another, with RCM in the list. He's actively
inserting RCM into the distributions. That's why I have no respect for
him, and feel free to say anything to him that reflects my annoyance.
d8-)

And a few weeks ago you, or someone else, trimmed a distro from a thread
that Cliff had created, leaving just RCM on it, and Cliff responded with
all of the other NGs pasted back on.

Also note that Adolescent got no responses from RCM for a long time but
he continued to include RCM in his distro lists. He's operating like a
spammer; once a NG is on there, he keeps using it. It's a numbers game
for him.

There is no way that non-response is going to affect these people.
Trolling has morphed into something that's more like spamming. They
aren't looking for an argument so much as a forum for plastering their
views up on the wall, like posters in a subway. Cliff, Adolescent, and
one or two others are creating threads to provoke and to insult other
people, and they don't care when or if anyone responds from those groups.
If they don't get enough response to indicate that they're getting under
someone's skin, they just start new, more provocative threads.

You aren't going to get rid of them, least of all by ignoring them.
They'll just turn up the noise level until they get a response or two.
That's all it takes to keep them going. And if no one responds, they just
keep starting new threads.

Adolescent has picked up one of Gunner's old habits, cutting and pasting
lengthy diatribes from the right-wing media. He's not looking for
arguments at all. You can tell he isn't really into that part of it. What
he's "into" is spreading his obnoxious polemics around Usenet.

I have several people, one from RCM, in my bozo bin and they've all been
there for over a year. But they keep "leaking" through. Often it's
because someone from another NG responded to them -- something which no
amount of discipline on our part will stop.

The effect, to me, is to seriously foul the air and the mood in this
place. It's really become obnoxious, especially since the right wing has
taken off on a rampage against the new administration. These people are
among the most loutish, juvenile, and selfish creeps I've ever seen. In
that atmosphere, good on-topic discussions tend to have a short life and
to go through a transformation into name-calling with amazing speed.

So I'm not really here in spirit. I welcome the few worthwhile things
that get through the noise, but Usenet is near death as it is, and I'm
getting ready to move out and find another place to talk. Maybe I'll
follow Jim Rozen. Meantime, I may hammer on the Whac-a-Moles from time to
time, because it really has no effect, except to relieve some annoyance.
I'm really tempted to take the gloves off and see how much Adolescent can
take. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Whack a mole?

You're the mole.

I have asked many times in this group to put your spammers on a shorter
leash.

We have one for you, Adolescent. You won't like the collar, though. It
tightens up as you hang there.

I'm just throwing the **** back over the fence.

You're a lying slimeball, Adolescent. You're the source of much of it.

Have a nice day.

It's time for you to drive your bus, Adolescent. There's a nice cliff over
on your right...

--
Ed Huntress