Posted to uk.d-i-y
Cash Cash is offline

Default Two coats of gloss - am I wasting my time?

Rednadnerb wrote:
When painting outside woodwork with undercoat and gloss I usually go
over the areas that are heavily exposed to rain and sun with a second
coat of gloss.
But i've never actually read anywhere that this will prolong the life
of the paintwork. Am I wasting my time?

Rednadnerb,

Paint specification from an AKZO rep on external paintwork (preparation and
priming assumed to be done) for longevity:

2 undercoat and 1 gloss coats

OR

1 undercoat and 2 gloss coats

But always remember that it's the preparation that gives the longevity on
any paintwork - if that is poorly done, then the finished coats will simply
not last.

Cash