Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Tomlinson Mike Tomlinson is offline

Default LV Halogens MR16 to LEDs ?

In article , KD
writes

I don't want to have to install either
transformers or drivers. Worth a shot ?

If it were me, I'd take out all the fittings and transformer(s), replace
with mains wiring, and fit GU10 fittings and LED bulbs (GU10 LED lamps
can be had for about a fiver each now).

But before doing so, buy a couple of GU10 fittings and lamps, do a
temporary lash-up and see if you're happy with the colour and the amount
of light (especially at night time).

Halogen GU10s tend to have quite a wide spread of light and the LED
versions have a narrower beam. This may not matter if the ceiling is
fairly high and they are bright enough for you.

Saw a toilet at Manchester airport fitted with GU10 LEDs. Although the
installers had tried to compensate for the poor light output by
installing a lot of them, the result was truly dismal; you could barely
see and the light was an offputting shade of blue.

--
(\__/)
(='.'=) Bunny says Windows 7 is Vi$ta reloaded.