Jim Wilson

Default is Type 303 stainless steel the right material for a burnisher?

Bay Area Dave wrote...
I'm trying to find the correct material in the Grainger's catalog to use
a burnisher.

If you want to *buy* something, you'd be better off to get a solid
carbide end mill and use the shank. Solid carbide router bits are much
more expensive; go figure. An old broken one will do just as well, of
course, and can often be had for nothing from a local machine shop.

Stainless is definitely the wrong way to go. If you want to get a steel
you can harden yourself with little experience (I.e., darn hard to screw
it up), get W-1 and after hardening, draw the temper to 450 F. You should
end up with a tool over RC 60 surface hardness, which is quite sufficient
for burnishing a scraper or putty knife blade, which are much softer.

Jim