Kooky45

Default More damp testing woes

(Lobster) wrote

I agree with you entirely; problem is as a house-seller, how do you
refute the surveyor's findings to the buyer who is demanding 2K off
your asking price to 'get the damp fixed'? Or as a buyer, how do you
tell the same thing to your mortgage lender who are putting a 5K
retention on your loan, for the same reason?

David

Yes, interesting questions. It's a problem I hope I don't face with
the next house. I suspect that if you got a core sample done and it
proved there was no damp despite a meter based report you could
probably use that as evidence to sue the lender for the cost of the
test and any bridging loans you needed to get the purchase done.

I also wonder what would happen if you ordered a normal damp survey
and told the surveyor that you were intending to get a core sample
done later and if his report was wrong you'd likely sue his company
for the cost of his survey and for financial loss that occured if it
put off buyers. I bet you'd find it hard to get surveyor to come at
all if they realised you'd be double checking their reports in this
way.

Incidentally, although I looked I couldn't find anyone who offered
core sample tests. Does anyone know who does them and what the cost
might be? I'd consider it a good investment.

Ken

PS. I notice that there's not been any replies to this thread from
representatives of the damp proofing industry denying our claims, yet
they're quick to post to people enquiring about what to do about
suspected rising damp (i.e. "call me, we do work in your area").