Posted to alt.home.repair
Hell Toupee[_3_] Hell Toupee[_3_] is offline

Default Smoke detectors for the elderly

Robert Green wrote:

Does anyone know of a *reasonably* priced smoke detector whose sounder is
audible to people with high frequency hearing loss? I'd like to buy a
couple of such detectors for him, but the price on the only unit I've found
would bring the bill to over $1200 for four detectors, and that's just
unreasonable. I know what goes into making a smoke detector and 10x the
cost of the parts still wouldn't bring the price that high.

The idea that smokes use sounders that can't be heard by a lot of elderly
people seems pretty unreasonable to me as well.

Surely someone out there makes a smoke detector or combo smoke/CO detector
(even better) that makes a sound people with typical hearing loss could hear
a little better.

There are two smoke alarms out there that allow the user to record an
alert that sounds when the alarm goes off. Usually, it's a voice
alert, to awaken children to the sound of their parent's voice. But
there'd be nothing stopping you from recording a lower-frequency tone
to use as an alarm sound. Look on the internet for a sound your friend
can hear, and that sounds alarming enough to awaken him, and record
that.

SignalONE Voice Safety Alarm
http://www.safemart.com/Fire-Safety/...arm-012504.htm

KidSmart Vocal Smoke Detector