Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Phillipson[_3_] Don Phillipson[_3_] is offline

Default Smoke detectors for the elderly

"Robert Green" wrote in message

I was at an elderly friend's house the other day when the smoke alarm went
off. It was quite loud and I reacted instantly to the noise. My friend,

former Army marksman in his 70's, who's suffering from profound high
frequency hearing loss, heard nothing!!!

Then I started looking around for alarms that used lower frequency

sounders
but the only thing I could find were specially converted smoke detectors
that cost $300!!!!

Can you not find an optical alarm, that indicates by blinking
a strobe light on/off slowly (at whatever frequency is likeliest
to catch the attention of deaf people)?

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs