Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Outdoor pond

windcrest wrote:
On Oct 2, 9:55 pm, Jason Carlton wrote:
Have any of you ever built an outdoor pond? I'm curious whether I
really need to use 45 mil pond liner, or can I save $$$ and go with 20
mil for about 30% less?

I'm in NC, if it matters.

I built an outdoor pond, and never will do it again. Mine was only 4
feet deep, all the fish froze to death over the winter (Chicago) (it
should have been minimum 6 feet deep). I also regret not installing a
bottom drain return for the bio filter, as that would have kept the
bottom clean. If I did go 6 feet I would have had too much ground
water pushing the liner back up. Also if it is not on perfectly level
ground you'll get runoff into the pond and liner lift out, mine was on
a very slight slope which was problematic. All in all I learned a
lot, it was hard work and cost a lot of money to build. After built
it was a constant source of maintenance work and little jabs from the
wife worrying about a neighbor kid falling into it. Both of these
were not worth it. But it did look pretty with the lilypads and fake
koi (colored goldfish that look like koi but are 1/16th the price).

I would never have another pond in suburbia, maybe on a farm if I
could do it naturally by tapping a spring or artesian well and use a
clay bottom.

After 2 years I pulled the liner and filled it with black dirt, now
its a vegetable garden and I have bought myself back many months of
living doing other things I enjoy more.

I would tend to agree, based on ponds I have known. (Space and money for
one of my own being way above me on the food chain.) Sort of like
swimming pools and outdoor hot tubs- once the novelty wears off, they
are a PITA hole in the ground you pour money and time into. If I were
to hit the lotto and build a rural dream house, a water feature would be
appealing, but it would have to be something that was an adaptation of
existing waterflow on the the property (assuming the PTB allow modifying
existing waterflow in the area), and self-maintaining.

--
aem sends...