Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default What's the best table saw cleaner?

Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

As a follow up to my previous post concerning best rust preserving
treatment...

What's the best cleaner for a table saw surface. This table saw that I
inherited had all sorts of rust and gunk that I have carefully scraped
off. But it's still very far from the shiny surfaces I see on well
maintained saws. What's the best way of cleaning it further? Goof off?
320 grit sanding?

Thanks again,

Aaron

Scotchbrite pad always worked well for me. The reddish-brown kind, not
the green ones they sell for the kitchen. You'll never get it showroom
shiny, but that isn't important. If it feels smooth to your fingertips,
and is clean and sealed so the wood doesn't get dirty or bind, that is
what matters. A cabinet shop can keep the table shiny. On a jobsite
saw, a patina and the occasional pit is expected.

Of course, the most important thing is that the table is flat, and the
plane of the table and the slots in the table are square with the axis
of the blade. If you can't true things up, the saw is pretty much useless.

--
aem sends...