Posted to alt.home.repair
AZ Nomad[_2_] AZ Nomad[_2_] is offline

Default anyone built any do it yourself windmills or solar panels thatwork well?

On Sat, 3 Oct 2009 11:16:02 -0700, Ulysses wrote:

"Ashton Crusher" wrote in message
.. .
I ran across a website that says it's easy to build your own solar
panels and home made windmills. Anyone actually done this?

From everything I've seen and read by the time you buy a bunch of "seconds"
solar cells and put them all together in a panel you may as well just buy a
panel. Recently I've seen panels advertised for just over $2/watt and there
is speculation that they may go even lower in about a year. Keep in mind
that this "breakthrough" has be on the verge for a long, long time and
hasn't happened yet ;-) There's a recent thread about it on alt energy.
homepower (PV Panels $1.98/Watt? vaughn 9/20/09).

As for windmills, as was mentioned you need a spot with really good,
consistant wind, a high tower, and probably so many permits that it would
never result in a positive gain financially.

I have this image of the OP using solar panels for windmill blades.