Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveBell[_2_] SteveBell[_2_] is offline

Default when (if) to use t-molding in laminate flooring installation

coloradotrout | 2009-10-03 | 1:20:36 AM wrote:

When should t-moldings be used when installing laminate flooring
across several rooms (or the entire level) of a home?

I believe my 1st home was installed with no t-moldings at all except
some moldings for transitions between laminate and carpet/vinyl. But
then again they also nailed down the laminate in some areas - a big
no- no.

I'm thinking to install laminate in my current home and curious if I
should divide with t-molding between rooms? or just keep it
continuous without the molding. I can see where the molding might
help with adjusting for crooked walls from one room to another, but
moldings everywhere seems a bit unsightly.

The instructions in the package will give you specifics.

You'll need transition moldings between:
* Different materials
* Different levels
* Areas where the planks run in different directions
* Anywhere you have to cut off the interlocking edges
* Every X feet to provide for expansion joints, where X depends on
the product.

I've never had to put in the expansion joints, but if I did, I'd put
them in doorways.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement