Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default What's the best table saw cleaner?

On Oct 3, 9:58*am, Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

As a follow up to my previous post concerning best *rust preserving
treatment...

What's the best cleaner for a table saw surface. This table saw that I
inherited had all sorts of rust and gunk that I have carefully scraped
off. But it's still very far from the shiny surfaces I see on well
maintained saws. What's the best way of cleaning it further? Goof off?
320 grit sanding?

Thanks again,

Aaron

Most gunk can't resist StripEase methylene chloride based paint
stripper. Once that's gone a phosphate type rust converter
(bartender's friend or similar) will take care of stubborn rust. The
chaps on rec.woodworking like Johnson's wax for final finish on saw
tables. I suspect the genuine patina is derived from several thousand
board feet of lumber being sent past the blade. IMO, sanding the
surface of a machine is only OK if you don't intend to use it. If
shiny is important, use a quality autobody buffing compound and a big
buffer. Your local tool rental may have such.

Joe