Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default exploding mice.....

On Sat, 03 Oct 2009 01:15:15 -0500, bob wrote:

closer inspection showed that
one of the duracell procell battery's had Grey goo hissing out of the
positive end of the battery. I have NEVER seen a AA battery do that
before. replaced the battery and the mouse was fine. Go figure...
They were some i had laying around with a 2008 code date on them.

There's been a problem with counterfeit Duracell batteries for many
years:

http://www.luton.gov.uk/0xc0a80123%200x0d440589

http://www.pcw.co.uk/personal-computer-world/analysis/2196695/strange-case-exploding-aaa-cell

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2008-04-16-4161864503_x.htm

http://www.efootage.com/stock-footage/31471/100420042004042000s2000sOctober4Canada

http://www.hktdc.com/info/mi/a/baus/en/1X00O3ZS/1/Business-Alert-%E2%80%93-US/US-Importers-Charged-With-Importing-Counterfeit-Cigarettes--Batteries-from-China.htm

http://www.zoominfo.com/people/Yi_Zheng_554612330.aspx
Yi also had counterfeit Duracell batteries that could explode.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A45994-2005Jan3.html
Trainer says he saw counterfeit Duracell batteries for sale
at local supermarkets and drugstores recently. He turned
the package over, he said, "and the word 'China' was misspelled."

http://88.208.193.7/bascap/article.php?articleid=621
60,000 counterfeit Duracell batteries have recently been
found by Cook county sheriff’s police in a warehouse in Elk
Grove Village. The counterfeits looked authentic having the
copper tops and the shooting star on the packaging. The
way the fakes differed from genuine Duracell’s was their
potential to explode and also to cause brain damage.

A few years ago, a friend tested two types of batteries sold by
Costco, Duracell and Kirkland using his CBA II tester. I'm too lazy
to find the emailed results, but as I recall, Duracell were just
barely above the specified capacity, while the cheaper Kirkland house
brand were well above spec.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D