Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default plans for acoustic computer enclosure?

J. Clarke wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
J. Clarke wrote:
But most people who are using a digital audio workstation, like
Protools for example, and are concerned with noise enough to spend
the money to build a box to hide it, are likely doing real
multitrack recording, as in entire bands or drums. We're talking a
minimum 10 tracks just for drums, and a minimum 24 for a band.
I'm seeing devices with 20 channels.

A link would help me talk apple/apples with you. Some of those things
are probably mixers that will send and receive a couple of track each
with the computer, but everything else is either on-board recording,
or just an analogue mixer, sending a stereo bus to the PC.

Roland has one that is expandable to 40 channels, for a Roland price. For
under 400 bucks you can get a 16 channel Tascom.

Googling "USB multitrack audio" gets 110,000 hits, and most of them point to
a device of one sort or another, most of which have mor than two channels.

So, you don't have a link, then. :-)

But I may be wrong. The most I've seen is 8 channels, but I wouldn't
trust it for anything I care about.

I can tell you this... I could ask 500 Nashville producers/engineers
how many of them use or would ever consider using USB over Firewire
for anything other than recording quick little scratch demo tracks,
and my junior high school shop teacher could count the number on one
hand. :-)

And there was a time when if you asked them if they used Firewire they'd say
"fire_WHAT_?".

Time marches on.

In any case, everybody does't need the same equipment as a Nashville
producer.

It just was never meant for that purpose, while Firewire.... was,
specifically.

So what? All that either of them does is move bits across a wire. USB2
has enough real-world bandwidth to carry more than 1000 192kb streams.
There's nothing about Firewire bits that makes them sound different from USB
bits, although I'm sure that the same sucker^H^H^H^H^H^Haudiophiles who buy
Monster speaker cables for a ludicrous price will say otherwise.

With Apple dumping Firewire on the latest iBook the handwriting is on the
wall.

And no one is using the iBook to record 24 tracks, either....
successfully.

You're giving me theory, and I'm giving you real experience.

The ****ing contests is this newsgroup crack me up.
You guys get on a tangent about a semantic, and just won't let go.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--