Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default plans for acoustic computer enclosure?

Swingman wrote:
A computer used for actual recording of music in a professional
recording studio is rarely anywhere but in a "control room", or in close
proximity thereto, and very little "recording" is done in a control room
in a professional environment. Therefore it is extremely rare for the
noise generated by the computer itself to end up on the "music".

The perceived problem is that computer(s) generate noise that canl
possibly interfere with the critical listening necessary to either
recording, or mixing.

I say "perceived" and "possible", because, IME in 30 years of
professional studio work, it is rarely a problem, and, considering most
recording is done at an SPL of 60 to 80 db, and mixing an average of
90-105 db, then only a problem for those who delight in making a
mountain out of a molehill, of which this discussion is plainly guilty.

IOW, as in the "audiophile" business, the perceived problem is largely
an opportunity sell something expensive to the "perceiver".

I agree with everything you said, but just want to add that more and
more recordings, even stuff you hear on the radio and TV, are being done
in more of a home environment, in which you do have quite a few tracks
being laid down in the control room.

A lot of acoustic guitar and vocals are done in the control room, out in
the open. It just seems to free up the creative process to be there,
right next to one another, instead of locked in a little booth and
communicating through headphones.

But it is mostly that "critical listening" thing.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--