Posted to uk.d-i-y
David WE Roberts David WE Roberts is offline

Default How is trap fixed in shower tray?

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
David WE Roberts wrote:

Meanwhile we wait for everything to dry out before fitting the new hard
tray - which has to be on a plinth because the old shower tray was very
deep and we don't want to move the shower cubicle (hang on - we probably
could.....perhaps not...ummmm) but anyway on something of a plinth to
allow the pipework to exit using the old route.

That might be your answer - if you raise the plinth on some 4x2" or
similar, then you could leave yourself access under the base board to do
up the waste fitting.

On general principles I would prefer a shower trap where you pulled it up
with a central screw instead of pulling it down with a collar - because it
should be easy to put the tray in and take it out without resorting to
raised paltforms etc.

In this particular case I am planning to have a plinth of 2 * 4 (or even
more) and ply to support the tray and bring it up to the original tile and
shower enclosure level to avoid having to do any major alterations, extra
tiling etc.

I think I will include ventilation under this plinth so that if there are
any minor leaks in future the floor does not get waterlogged (as it is at
the moment).
This would also allow me to have a large enough aperture to have a screw up
fitting to release the last run of pipe.

At the moment we are waiting to see how long it takes for the floor to dry
out and are also checking that the wet has not caused any major damage.

This could mean several days of avoiding anyone with a keen sense of smell
;-)