Posted to uk.d-i-y
PeterC PeterC is offline

Default How do you open a NEC 20WGX2 flatscreen monitor?

On Fri, 2 Oct 2009 16:09:42 -0700 (PDT), js.b1 wrote:

snip

People hated the
external bricks "because they failed", well I'd rather have one of
those because at least replacement is somewhat simpler :-)

Having read all this, I'm now a bit happier that my monitor has an external
PSU.
What I'm looking at is running a socket from 12V Molex to the back panel of
the PC and supplying the monitor from there. It'd get rid of the brick and
also move the PC's PSU in to its efficient band.
The PSU is a Seasonic 330W; it runs at 45W input at idle and never more
than 120W on full load, so it should be able to supply 3A to the monitor.

I wonder if, with a monitor that has an internal PSU, if it'd be possible
to remove the borked PSU and just use the PC's PSU. Not flexible, as the
monitor would be linked to the PC, but perhaps a jack socket on the monitor
would allow it to be run from a brick instead.
--
Peter.
it's been flattened with an angel-grinder.