Leon

Default Finish Sander, 1/4 Sht or Random Orbit?

"Mark" wrote in message

I have the PC 1/4 sheet.

After I got use to working the clips it wasn't that bad.

I had considered getting a 'stick-um' sander but one look at the price
of the paper, and being the cheap ******* I am, I went with the 1/4 sheet.

Plus I feel I have a far greater selection of papers, and I don't have
to worry about adhesive backed papers being 'out of stock'. And if you
use good paper you don't have to change it as often.

Something to consider.
About 16-17 years ago I too was the cheap guy and wondered about all the fan
fare that was associated with PSA "pressure sensitive adhesive" sand paper.
For years I had done just fine with the clip on sand paper, or so I thought.
I worked in the automotive industry for many years and trades magazines were
talking about the PSA papers for sanders being used in body shops. I
learned that the real value with the PSA papers was in that they lasted
longer and did more work in less time. The reason being, regardless of how
tight you clip the non stick paper on, it eventually works loose and or
slips on the back up pad. When this happens, the paper imbeds more to the
work and the sander vibrates behind the paper vs. moving the paper. Once
the paper starts to not move just as much as the back up pad, your arm
starts doing more of the work. With the PSA papers that stick to the back
up pad the paper always vibrates just as much and the sander with never any
slippage at all. Basically the paper works harder and lasts longer because
the back of the paper no longer wears out before the business side of the
paper. Still not convinced, I decided to test the concept. I worked for a
3M distributor and had access to all the PSA and non stick paper that I
wanted at no cost to me. I could make a full sheet of traditional paper
last for a couple of hours. I could make 6 applications of PSA paper last
about 1.5 hours. While the PSA paper did not last as long time wise, it did
do two to three times as much work in that hour and a half. Since leaving
the automotive business 8 years ago, I continue to purchase only PSA paper.
My time is much more valuable than a sheet of sand paper.