Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Michael Koblic Michael Koblic is offline

Default Those wretched cross-holes

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message

snip

Was the workpiece hollow or solid metal? If solid, check
whether your drill press vise has a horizontal V-groove, ideally with a
Vertical one meeting it in the fixed jaw. These give a good grip, and
the vertical V-groove gives access to the area which you want to
cross-drill. (For that matter, you can take a short piece of material the
same diameter, face off the ends and drill through the center just the
size to accept the drill bit which you intend to use, and drop it down
the vertical V-groove after inserting the workpiece in the horizontal
V-groove. Then Tighten the vise and drill guided by the existing center
hole. (If you're going to drill a lot of holes like this, make the
guide out of drill rod, and harden it after machining (facing and
drilling), so it will last longer. Probably a good idea to use a
countersink to chamfer the hole at the upper end at least -- and
probably both ends so you don't have to worry about which end is up.