Posted to rec.woodworking
Nova Nova is offline

Default plans for acoustic computer enclosure?

Christopher Glaeser wrote:
Is most of this noise transmitted via vibration or is it airborne?
IOW.. can you feel the case vibrate?

Vibration is relatively low. There is some noise due to the six drives, but
most of the noise is due to all the fans (fans for dual cpu chips, fan for
hign-end graphics card, and multiple fans for power and enclosure).

A Kell System enclosure would be ideal, but they are pricey (though I'm sure
they are worth it). I expect a reasonable design would use 1/2" or 3/4"
birch plywood lined with carpeting and/or sound proofing material. One key
feature is the air flow. Needs to cool 600-800 watts, yet baffle the noise
inside the enclosure. Several superquiete 120mm fans could be used to
exchange the air. Another feature is the door. Needs to provide easy
access, but also a seal to minimize noise.

I've seen plans on the net to build the computer case out of wood. I have
no desire to do that. I want the ability to swap in a new computer every
couple of years, but keep the acoustic enclosure.

Best,
Christopher

Have you considered putting the whole tower into a dorm type
refrigerator modified for cable exits?

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA