Andy Dingley

Default two-inch thick stock for chair seats

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 00:32:32 GMT, Phisherman wrote:

I just called my wood dealer, but he doesn't carry any 2" thick stock
lumber. I'm specifically looking for kiln-dried eastern white pine

I'm not surprised. 2" thick pine (most species) will just be an
exercise in futility as it twists and cups. If you did find it in a
good stable condition, then I'd expect it to be a high pricetag item,
as pine of that grade, tight enough to be good for furniture, is rare.

I also can't see pine as a useful chair base. I use elm, even though
wide elm is damn near unavailable in Europe.