Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Dave is offline

Default Metric on tape measures

nightjar cpb@ wrote:
"Frank Erskine" wrote in message
On Thu, 01 Oct 2009 22:44:03 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"
had this to say:

Whats the convention for metric measurement BTW? For example should one
write 150.2cm or 1520mm or 1.52m?

Centimetres aren't standard SI units, and seem to be mainly used in
schools.

My partner, who is originally German, uses metres and centimetres and has to
convert millimetres into centimetres to understand the measurement.

Where as I was re-educated in mm and metres. Give me a dimension in
centimetres, I have to convert it to mm to understand how big/long it
is. I can readily convert between metric and imperial, but only if the
metric is *not* in cm's.

Dave