Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Uk Freeview

"Adrian C" wrote in message
Arfa Daily wrote:
I can see it leading to many very unhappy customers, and
riots at the doors of the Comet-style barns who sold them ...

Yes. Problem at the moment is that the media hasn't quite woken to this
and radio news slots on Wednesday were informing people that 'freeview HD
is on the way, which was the dumbed down and stated reason for retuning
...'.

I'll then be expecting BSkyB to start promoting their set top boxes a bit
more strongly. i.e. "You are gonna have to buy a HD set top box - why not
get ours free? [TM]"

BTW That phrase TM'd by me, mr murdoch. Payment in the usual bank account
please....

--
Adrian C

Thing is, the Freeview HD service, if and when it ever materialises, is
going to be free. My son has a Virgin cable TV package with his 'net and
'phone, and the service that he receives has many HD channels included, so
fundamentally 'free' - I know it's not really, but to all intents and
puposes, it at least 'appears' to be. So really, Sky should change their
marketing policy on this, and stop making a separate charge for the service,
and charge a one-off for the HD box, instead.

But all of this aside, if we know for sure that "HD Ready" TV sets that are
equipped with a built-in Freeview receiver, are not going to be able to
resolve the HD channels when they appear, should we not all be making loud
noises about misrepresentation, intentional or not ... ?

What is the situation in the US ? Presumably, there are TV sets over there
with built in terrestrial digital receivers for whatever the equivalent
off-air service to UK Freeview is ? Are there HD channels on this service ?
Were TV sets sold for the last couple of years with an "HD Ready" logo, and
if so, can they receive off-air HD channels if there are any, or will they
be able to if there's not any yet but going to be ?

Arfa